Big Sky, Montana – On Saturday December 15, 2018 the much-anticipated Ramcharger 8 Chairlift opens to the public. There will be a ribbon cutting at 10am and the grand opening of the high speed chairlift will be at 11am. Looks like the Biggest Skiing In America is about to get even better!
Big Sky’s new Ramcharger 8 Chairlift is the 1st eight-seat chairlift in North America and it is the most technologically-advanced chairlift in the world. The new D-Line lift with feature 64 chairs with ergonomically-shaped, heated seats and a Big Sky Blue Bubble. The Dopplemayr lift will transport 3,600 skiers per hour to the top of Big Sky Resort’s Andesite Mountain. During the 6 minute long lift ride, Ramcharger 8 will cover a length of 4,578′ and a vertical rise of 1,160′.
Let’s take a look at some quick facts about Big Sky’s Ramcharger 8 Chairlift from BigSkyResort.com:
- The Ramcharger 8 Lift will cover a distance of 4,578 feet and feature a vertical rise of 1,160 feet. Sixty-four chairs will transport 3,600 skiers per hour. Each ride will take 6 minutes.
- A 30 foot x 10 foot LED screen at the Ramcharger 8 base was created by linking 40 individual screens that can “feature videos, user-generated content, and up-to-the-minute weather conditions.”
- Every chair will feature ergonomically-shaped, heated seats and a bubble. The bubble “on each chair is 4.19 feet deep from front to back at its widest point.”
- The haul rope, which is commonly called a cable, measures 54 millimeters in diameter. When the haul rope was on the spool, it weighed 78,000 pounds. The chairs detach from the cable at loading and unloading, but the haul rope will continue to move at 11+ miles per hour. The haul rope can hold chairs or gondola cabins.
- Each of the Ramcharger 8 chairs is roughly 15 feet wide and 13 feet tall. They each weigh 2,262 pounds. The chairs will be stored in a 150 foot x 50 foot chair barn at the top of Andesite Mountain each night to protect them from the elements.
- The bull wheel measures 24.28 feet in diameter.
- Ramcharger 8 features the “first Austrian-manufactured tapered towers in the U.S. The tallest, number six, is 73 feet tall with 30 yards of concrete at its base” (LiftBlog.com).
- Ramcharger 8 is the 1st D-Line 8 seat lift in the world and the 1st 8-seater in North America.
For a more fun facts and a complete look at updates and photos from the construction project, visit BigSkyResort.com.
The new Ramcharger 8 replaces the old Ramcharger high-speed quad. That lift was moved to the south side of Lone Mountain and will replace the old 2-seat Shedhorn Chairlift. These lift improvements will drastically improve the mountain experience at Big Sky Resort.
It’s so exciting to watch Big Sky Resort follow through with their Big Sky 2025 plans. The new Ramcharger 8 chair is another awesome improvement for Big Sky Resort. Thanks to everyone who made this possible. See you all on Saturday. Woohoo!
FYI: If you can’t make it to the Grand Opening, you can watch it happen live on the Ramcharger 8 Webcam: